PHS musicians make semifinals of US band competition
According to an e-mail sent out on the PHS listserv, an alternative rock band, "Scarlet," featuring four PHS seniors — Christopher Cooney, Donald Larson, Jacob Telford and Zack Rego — has made it to the regional semifinals of the National Association for Music Education "SchoolJam" battle of the bands, and they need everyone in Portsmouth to vote them up. From the e-mail:
They are currently one of twelve semifinalists in the Northeast region and to make it to the finals they need to receive the top two highest votes in the region. Becoming finalists would send them to Anaheim, California in January to compete for prizes and gain valuable exposure.
Here's what's at stake for them and for Portsmouth High if they make it:
- For 1st Place: A trip to Europe to perform at SchoolJam Germany in the Spring of 2011, $5,000 for PHS's music program and $1,000 towards the purchase musical gear for Scarlet
- For 2nd Place: $3,000 for PHS's music program and $750 towards the purchase musical gear
- For 3rd Place: $1,500 for PHS's music program and $500 towards the purchase of musical gear
- For 4th-10th Place: $1,000 for PHS's school music programs and $250 towards the purchase of musical gear
All you have to do to vote is:
- Visit http://namm.promo.eprize.com/schooljamusa2010/gallery and register with your email
- Once you register and receive a confirmation email go to the northeast category and cast your vote for Scarlet (SchoolJam will not send you any spam so don't worry about providing your email)
- Vote once per day now through November 30, 2010 so once you get registered don't forget to keep up with it, Scarlet needs all of your support
- Additionally you will automatically be entered to win $1000 each time you vote.
Tell everyone you know to sign up and vote every day, as the finalists are determined solely on number of votes. The finalists will be announced on Dec 1, 2010 and we would be so proud to see Portsmouth's own Scarlet on the list!
Hey all you Patriots, vote early, vote often!
Disclaimer: Written substantially from a listserv message.